The scent of honey, its bright colour and that little winking bump: all the details of a madeleine make it the perfect pastry. A symbol of the patisserie française, the madeleines are also easy to bake, you just need the time to let the dough rest in the fridge. We’ll see this in the procedure. As this is a simple recipe based on few ingredients, be sure to choose high quality ingredients to get the best result.
Ingredients for 8 madeleines
- 3 happy eggs
- 20 gr / 1 tbsp honey
- 100 gr / 1/2 cup sugar
- 120 gr / 1,25 cup rice flour
- 25 gr / 3,5 tsp corn or potato starch
- 125 gr / 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 5 gr / 2 tsp baking powder
- optional : lemon zest
- a sprinkle of salt
- Whisk the eggs with sugar, honey and salt until they become almost white.
- Sifting rice flour, starch and baking powder through a sieve, add them to the eggs. Mix well.
- Add the soften butter and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Place the dough in the madeleine mold and let it rest in the freezer for 1 hour or in the fridge for 6 hours. You can also let it in the fridge all night long and bake it on the next day.
- Pre-heat the oven to 240°C / 540°F, bake for 1 minute. Continue at 210°C/ 410°F for 4 minutes and for another 4 minutes at 180°C/350°F.
- Let them cool completely before eating all of them because they are so freaking good.