This is my super personal variation of stuffed squids: a typical South Italy recipe which normally has eggs, parmesan and bread among the ingredients. My recipe uses only potatoes instead, making them gluten free leaving more space to the genuine sea food taste of squids. It’s a good recipe to make in advance and to put in the oven at the last moment, too.
Ingredients serving 2:
- 6 small squids
- 2 little potatoes
- 10 olives
- 20 capers
- extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 355°F
- Clean the squids by removing the head and tentacles from the main body, put them aside. Here’s a full detailed guide on how to clean them properly : https://food52.com/blog/7003-how-to-clean-squid
- Chop the tentacles in small parts and pan roast the bites with garlic and oil in a saucepan. Remove then the garlic and add some fresh chopped parsley. Cook for 2 more minutes and then turn off.
- Boil potatoes until soft and mashed them in a bowl.
- Add the sautéed tentacles to the potatoes, along with finely chopped capers and olives. Mix all well: this is the super tasty stuffing of your squids. Adjust with salt by tasting, it really depends on the capers.
- Fill the squid with the stuffing, leaving it quite loose because they will reduce in size cooking.
- Close the squids with a toothpicks and place them in a casserole with some extra-virgin olive oil.
- Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes.
- You can thank me later.