Vignarola is a traditional dish from Rome (Italy), taking its name from the “vignarolo” aka the greengrocer in roman dialect. This side dish is an ode to spring, as it brings together all of the season garden goods: fresh peas, fava beans and artichokes. Here I turn it in a main course by adding stir fried shrimps and the outcome is delicious with a perfect protein-fiber balance.
Ingredients for 4
- 300 gr/ 10 oz fresh peas
- 300 gr/ 10 oz fresh fava beans
- 300 gr/ 10 oz artichokes (2 medium)
- 500 gr / 18 oz fresh shrimps
- a little spring onion
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Peel peas and fava beans from their shells.
- Clean the artichokes, removing the thicker leaves and all the harder points.
- Drizzle a little oil in a pan and add the sliced spring onion, then stir on medium heat until transparent.
- Add the artichokes sliced in thin wedges, add a little water and stir until tender.
- Add peas and fava beans and cook all together for 10 minutes.
- Stir-fry in a separate pan the cleaned shrimps, with oil and garlic, for a few minutes: 2 minutes for side is enough.
- Add the shrimps to the vignarola.
- Try to resist for a few minutes, the vignarola is better at a warm temperature.