First tasted in Puglia (Italy) as a farmers traditional dish, this naturally vegan and gluten free main course has become a comfort food for me over the years. The warm and comforting side of the fava beans purée is the perfect background for the quite bitter and woody taste of wild chicory. Wild chicory is easy to find in the countryside, you can not miss its bright yellow flowers. Or you can always look for dandelion, its more common name, at the green grocer.
Ingredients for 2
- 200 gr / 7 ozdried fava beans
- 200 ml water
- 150 gr / 5 oz wild chicory
- A good extra virgin oil
- Every fava beans type has its own cooking method, if yours are similar to the ones in my picture, boil them in water for 20 minutes with a pinch of salt. Otherwise, follow the instruction on the pack :)
- When they are soft, blend them until you get a uniform and shiny texture.
- Poach the chicory leaves for 1 minute in hot water.
- Heat a spoon of oil with some garlic and fresh chili pepper in a saucepan.
- Stir chicory from water and pass it in the saucepan with oil, add some salt and stir for 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicory over warm mashed fava beans, adding some extra virgin raw oil drops on top.